October 23, 2006

Last 301 - It's Back to zero again. Negotiations and humanitarian exchange hopes down the drain in Colombia (Click for More!)

Well... This was bound to happen I guess... And it turns out that I'm a daydreamer after all... FARC and Uribe just don't get along, they are like trying to mix oil with water... A physically impossible task.

After some weeks of hot fuss about an eventual peace negotiation between FARC and Uribe's government, all hopes are once again shattered. After the october 19th car bombings in Bogotá, Uribe's government has toughened its policies towards the guerrilla movement, and thus eliminating any near future possibility for dialogue between the parts. Uribe has ordered an "immediate military rescue campaign" to liberate by force all hostages held by FARC. For report in English go here.

There is just one fussy issue that I just cannot let go unnoticed. Uribe is holding FARC directly responsible for the attack, but the insurgent group has allegedly denied any involvement in the actions. Who is telling the truth? The Government claims to have tracked down a radio conversation between "Mono Jojoy" (the Rebel's chief commander) with another high commander of FARC where he personally authorized the terrorist attack... Then again, how on earth can a FARC rebel infiltrate a car full of explosives into what is considered to be the Colombian Military Bastion in Bogota, and literally blow the hell out of the complex? As we say in Colombia, "me huele a gato encerrado"... There is something fishy going on, I just cannot believe FARC could have had it that easy to strike such a strategic blow on the military in their own backyard. I smell something down the lines that MAYBE this terrorist attack was "allowed" to happen in order to justify the continuation of hard-line and frontal aggression against FARC by the government... A Government seeking legitimacy for its hard-line policies in order to secure financial aid from Washington for another 4 years, as "Plan Colombia I" is about to expire. A future extension for "Plan Colombia II" would be compromised by coming congressional elections in the US, if Republicans loose seats to Democrats... It would not surprise me at all actually, if this theory holds true.

As usual, the best and most detailed information about the topic at hand is available in Spanish coming from the Colombian media. Here is a usefull link on El Tiempo.com You can have it translated here



1 comment:

Dave said...

I agree that this situation does seem a little strange. Tactically, the FARC have nothing to gain from this attack. They would've been able to predict the outcome. Everyone could have predicted that Uribe would have a strong response. I don't really like conspiracy theories, but letting the attack happen would be a good strategic plan for those that want to further military funding and have justification to further a military response. Perhaps it is sabotage on the AUCs part, since they are also under a lot of scrutiny. This could take a bit of the priority away from them.

I really feel for those that are kidnapped now because I'm not sure a military response will save their lives. Either they are caught in the crossfire, or perhaps not "given up" by the captors. These are very sad events for sure. For a while Uribe seemed to be looking to some compromise.