Last 301 - On Rodolfo Walsh... and a probable "Lexicon of Security"???
Open Letter From a Writer to the Military Junta
Frontal confrontation, loud and clear opposition at a time where this kind of words would definitely get you in a lot of trouble... And in fact they did: this words caused Walsh a lot of problems, eventually leading to his death by that same Military Junta...
I definitely don't know that much about Argentine history, but this kind of attitude expressed by Walsh is something that not many people would be willing to do. He basically gave up on everything involving personal emotion and embarked on a full on critique of the Junta... He knew that this "revolutionary" attitude would probably get him killed...
This situation is not at all foreign to me. This is something that happens way to often in Latin America... Freedom of speech just being tackled down... If you speak up your mind, you get shot. If you don't agree with policies, you will be prosecuted... I cannot relate to this personally, but I know it happens. A lot of other examples of prosecution and disappearances of the opposition can be found throughout Latin American history, that's why I say that I really admire people who do "Speak Up" and make a stand and don't swallow it down and keep silent... Admiration for those people who are not afraid, because I don't know if I would have the guts to speak up the way Walsh did, in order to stand up for something he believed was right... Are you ready to pay the price? Are you prepared to abandon yourself in order to speak up and make a difference?
Good Night,
RuizSKBO
EDIT (October 31th, 10:15am):
After last night's class, the discussion got me wondering about the "Lexicon of Terror" by Margarite Feitowitz and how this language ambiguity issue also applies to "Democratic Security" policies in Colombia today, as it did in Argentina in the 70's... I feel almost as if I could coin in my own "Lexicon of Security" with regards to the Colombian internal conflict... It would be an interesting exercise to perform...
so let me start... Here is the first term that come to mind almost instantly (taking President Uribe's own rethoric while refering to the guerrillas):
Terms not to use:
1. guerrilla
Terms to use instead:
1. Bandidos (bandits)
2. narco-guerrilla
3. Mamertos
4. Terroristas (terrorists)
The list could continue growing, but time presses so I will leave it at that for now. Funny is to note, that while both guerrillas and Paramilitaries are officially listed as "terrorist" groups, only the guerrillas get the tougher language used upon them on everyday government speeches and media articles... hmmm, makes you wonder...
Anyways, just some more ranting about those things that make my mind itch.
Adios.
Disclaimer: I am not pro guerrilla nor pro government here... Both represent the same illness of corruption, in my opinion. So I stand my ground that neutrality is also a valid point of view. This is just to show that you should not be forced to choose between being with or against the "Nation's Interests" by refusing to call an opposing force a "terrorist". That's all.
last301

4 comments:
Crystal: http://cmgraber.livejournal.com
I also admire this writer for making their argument in such a detailed, articulated and well argued manor. I was also left with admiration, mixed in with indignation
Rodolfo Walsh dijo lo que muchos argentinos no se atrevieron a decir en aquel momento. Si su valiente actitud hubiese sido imitada por muchos otros, es casi seguro que se hubiesen evitado muchas muertes de inocentes.
Visita mi blog y déjame tu comentario:
http://carlosdanielabasto.blogspot.com
Saludos desde Buenos Aires, Argentina!!!
Creo que fue leyendo Vargas Llosa, o algún escritor latinoamericano, que decía cómo todos los latinoamericanos le tenemos desconfianza, temor, u odio a la policía y las fuerzas militares. En Colombia, la corrupción, negocios sucios y violación de los derechos humanos atraviesa los dos bandos. La población civil no tiene salvador simbólico, está desamparada, no tiene nadie que le haga saber que estará bien todo, que hay esperanza.
Tienes toda la razon Andres.
Post a Comment