December 29, 2006

Saddam Hussein and Augusto Pinochet... and why justice is subjective to the point that makes me sick

Question thrown out in the open: Why was Saddam Hussein so hesitantly tried and executed while other dictators such as Chile's Augusto Pinochet where allowed years and years of impunity until he finally died of natural causes, leaving his victims in the dark and unaccounted for? I seriously don't get it (or maybe just don't want to grasp it, because the truth is just too painful). This example of selective justice leaves no hope left for a better future, to be honest. Justice only seems to work when circumstances merits the effort to do so...

Note: The picture shown depicts Saddam and Mel Gibson hand by hand... Found it to be very funny, so I thought i'd share it here. The weird thing is that Gibson is the fundementalist. (?) Such Irony!


This is a real shame to democracy... Justice only works when circumstances merits the effort to endorse it... There is no such thing as humanity or a humane treatment of things (at least in the political world). Every decision, action or step taken towards a goal is solely driven by economic and/or political factors that in the bottom line have little or nothing to do with the endorsement of REAL justice... That is why Saddam Hussein gets a brief and short trial and execution in retaliation for his crimes committed and Pinochet gets year after year of immunity until he relaxingly dies of old age enjoying life as if he deserved such fate...

3 comments:

ana's ghost said...

mmm...sí. Estuvo mal lo de Hussein, sobre todo porque matan al tipo, demuestran que la justicia es poco justa, y Bush ahí sigue matando gente!

ZAHiDA MACHAN said...

hey Andres,

tried commenting yesterday while I was in Edinburgh but the computer I was at was horrible. here in Glasgow now, having a blast. Home on Saturday though, boo!

just wanted to post two silly anecdotes that your post reminded me of, despite the seriousness of subject matter.

First off, yesterday I met a Mel Gibson lookalike, well, a guy in the Braveheart costume trying to raise money for cancer research, so got my picture taken with him.

and the other day, chatting with some friends, we are like, "so Saddam got executed, eh? and James Brown died too!" then another responds, "ya, he really had it coming.....that James Brown..." maybe you had to be there for it to be funny,

I assume you are now safely in Bogota, can't wait to hear from you and how things are going

Zahida

Ceci said...

Hi Andres,

Hope you're having a great time in Colombia.

I wrote about this topic at the news Website I work for. If you have time, please take a look at:

1. "Dead Tyrants & Global Justice" http://www.orato.com/node/1408

and

2. "Pinochet Took His Crimes To The Grave"

http://www.orato.com/node/1272