September 24, 2006

Last 301 - Comments on Paine and de Gouge

Hello all,

this really got my attention while doing this week's readings: "Reason and ignorance, the opposites of each other, influence the great bulk of mankind" (Thomas Paine, The Right of Man, Part 1). Why? Let me elaborate: In the text, Paine wants to conclude that while inherently there might be two opposing forms of government (either monarchy/aristocracy or republic), these are in strict correlation with the level of "reasoning" or "ignorance" a certain group of people (the inhabitant of a state) have. By "reasonable", Paine understands the kind of man that has had a decent education and is able to make informed decisions that don't go "beyond what his reason authorizes". He continues to say that this premise (a man's ability to reason) is the key to funding a strong, democratic government (Republic). On the other hand, Paine then has what he calls the "ignorant", which basically is the opposite of the reasonable man; an uneducated man, unable to make informed decisions. When this premise is fulfilled (a man's inability to reason) the path is paved for a monarchy/aristocracy to rule as the unchallenged form of government.

Now, what if we take this same line of thought and apply it to the Latin American context? Personally I will find a lot of truth in Paine's words: Many of the injustices and abuses to Latin American people have been, in my opinion and at least partially, a result of the people's inability to "reason" in Paine's sense of the word. That should read that the vast majority of people in Latin America (generally speaking) have not had the opportunity to be educated in such a way that would allow them to make a stand to the aristocracies or ruling elites that have been established since Hispanic colonial times. Of course, this was more the case in the past, for today we are starting to see shifts, (although small in most cases), in political patterns that I think are going in the right direction in terms of social justice. The strongest one of these cases in Bolivia where for the first time in history an indigenous descendant has democratically come to power, representing the vast majority of the population in this country)

On another matter, I will comment of de Gouges thoughts and writings on "The Rights of Women". I liked the approach Olympe de Gouge gives to the issue of women rights, addressing the Queen directly with letters personally addressed to her, and writing "The Rights of Women" as a just attempt to make both men and women equal in social status. I was particularly pleased with the fact that there where people concerned with this issue of gender equality as far back as 1790. This is definitely one of the first works in western history dealing with the issue of women rights, if I'm not mistaken.

Well, those are just my two cents...

Good night everyone.

Andres

Tags:

3 comments:

RuizSKBO said...

Hi Ross,

Agreed. 100%. Education is key in the healthy development of a society. I have no doubt about that. The lack of decent and inclusive public education systems in Latin America is in my opinion one of the most difficult hurdles to overcome in the region. It's like a long embedded cancer that needs to be cured. Now, where to get the funds necessary with current high levels of corruption at every government level? Change in the political culture is urgent.

Rhett said...

I also agree. I feel that education is the key element to understanding societies, making ethical and moral decisions and more importantly, in terms of Latin America, overcoming oppression. Of course it is not the only element but it is an essential. Without education it is very rare for political change to occur and for the oppressed and abused to overcome their oppressors.

As for de Gouge it is good to see an article/reading where somebody finally steps forward and makes a claim for women. Of course their are hundreds of articles for women but this is one of the first where one gender was not put above another. Often in readings it is all about one gender or another but in this reading I found it was an attempt to balance the equality of both genders.

ZAHiDA MACHAN said...

Being a teacher myself, I must say ya, education rocks. It's the number one thing that I think more of the world's 'development work' should go toward. I'm tired of this 'aid' business where people throw money at a problem and expect it to be fixed. Education, skill building, sustainability is what it's all about. And yes, education not only opens doors, but eyes as well. Without it, it can often be hard to see other perspectives, alternatives, etc.