Ugly Betty o Betty la Fea?

Me again. This is rather funny and ironic... There has been some hype all over the place about this "new" TV soap opera called Ugly Betty.
Reality: this is a re-make of the famous and absolutely hysterical Colombian "Telenovela" that made its debut in 1999. Back then, it was called "Betty la Fea". I do remember when Betty first appeared on local TV stations back home and all of a sudden it became sort of this cultural phenomenon. People just went crazy over this and not long after its Colombian success, the word spread out all throughout Latin America and Spain. Everybody wanted to be part of this "Betty-craze" for some unknown reason I don't understand (and probably don't want to anyways) Eventually time went by, the telenovela finally came to an end and as it tends to happen with all this productions, the craze was soon forgotten as Betty was replaced by the next super-hot Latin babe staring in the next mega hit... Or at least I thought so until yesterday.
I just happen to stumble across this video and now, a couple of years after I thought I would never hear from Beatriz Pinzón ever again, I see the Anglo-Saxon reincarnation of the character... Only this time portrayed as Betty Suarez, a Mexican-American with roots in Guadalajara (WHY Mexican?... *sigh*...) trying to make it in the Big Apple... Alas! After all Betty, la fea mas famosa del mundo, actually made it into the English speaking community. All I have to say is, will we see the same old Betty or is the storyline going to change significantly? I don't know and, actually, I don't care either! Why did I even ask that question? Haha. Anyways, that Guadalajara Poncho of hers actually looks VERY funny.
Salud!
RuizSKBO

5 comments:
I managed to catch some of Betty la fea back when I had a dish. Actually seemed like a pretty funny show (though I couldn't understand much of it). I heard there was a national controversey over the ending. I won't elaborate in case the US version is the same. Don't want to spoil it for the students here that might get hooked on it!
jeje
de hecho sabes una cosa? hay una version alemana tambien 'verliebt in Berlin'
Hola tifi!
Bueno verte pu aca. si, verliebt in Berlin, ya lo he visto y es todo un boom en Deutschland, jeje. De hecho en searchforvideo en la pagina alemana es una de los temas que tengo fichados para que lo veas si tienes tiempo
isnt this kinda a problematic plot line? contrasting the hilarity of "ugly betty" with ther beautiful and successfull co-workers. doesnt it sort of essentialize these characters? but its interesting to look at how long standing a plot line like this reaches... the ugly person as a comic character..the underdog that everyone is rooting for... but should we just let this be a long standing truism or should we try to write new tales? the adverts also kinda suck- its just a little too stereotypical for me, i'm all up for pop-media and dont want to over-criticize or analyze it too much but... the the over use of female tropes really does get tiring.
jajaja Precisamente ayer en cnn en español vi una nota que le hicieron a esto de Ugly betty. Entrevistaron a la que hace de Betty y vi el clip donde sale con el poncho, también me dio risa. Pero se ve rara...estoy "acostumbrada" a la colombian.
Post a Comment