Last 301 - Oaxaca: is it beneficial for the people to take arms?
Hello all,
This week I wanted to expand on Bob’s and Rhett’s comments about Colombia that where made in this blog last week. Nevertheless, I will have to leave that for a later time because another issue has just caught my attention; namely the recent struggle of indigenous peoples of Oaxaca. Sorry Bob, I will write on the topic next week though, and we can debate this at that time.
Now to the Oaxaca topic: Yesterday, September 21st I had the opportunity to attend the Oaxaca information session that was held at UBC. It basically had to do with the recent developments that have been occurring since June 14th 2006, when what started as a peaceful teachers strike fighting for better working conditions in Oaxaca ended up turning into a virtual urban war zone between the striking indigenous people and the police force. For info click here
I can’t help but think of this recent development and the uprising of the indigenous teachers as something that very could quickly and irreversibly turn into “urban guerrilla warfare” if diplomacy between the parties involved is not successful. Although the strike is justified, the means by which the people of Oaxaca are addressing the problem will not bring positive results in the short or long term, in my opinion.
Why do I say this? To answer I will draw a parallel between the recent Oaxaca struggle and the 40 year old Colombian civil conflict. At that time in Colombia, similar social inequalities as we see in Oaxaca today triggered the responsive action from left-wing revolutionaries. Escalation of violence between this left wing revolutionaries and government forces at that time ended into what we see today, a large scale conflict that is not likely to be solved soon.
Therefore the question I ask (and this has been troubling me deeply since yesterday) is whether such a “revolutionary movement” and “take to arms” to withstand abuse from the government is going to be beneficial for them in the long run? Of course, the striking Oaxaca teacher is most likely going to say that the struggle is justified by any means (even if it involves armed conflict) But the issue I want to raise is whether the situation in Mexico will not then turn into an escalade of hostilities from both sides that could get out of control. Taking into account the Colombian example (40 years of war over the same issue of revolution and social justice that has managed to change virtually nothing in the way politics are made in this Country), I strongly believe that a revolutionary and violent approach to solving problems such as the one in Oaxaca will not bring any good to anyone.
Thoughts? Comments?
Andres
tag: last301

3 comments:
Hi Andres,
A bit of history behind your post – the striking teachers were from the Oaxacan division of the Sindicato Nacional de Trabajadores de la Educación – which has been struggling for over 25 years for higher wages, more scholarships, and greater funding for schools in impoverished regions. Last year I lived in Oaxaca for five months and witnessed the same demonstration – but without the brutal police intervention. This year, the teachers strike turned into a political demonstration, primarily aimed at the corrupt governor Ulises Ruiz Ortiz. The most important thing – these people had no intention of engaging in armed conflict – they were occupying the streets with families with children. When the tear gas forced them out of their encampment they defended themselves against the police with objects found in the streets.
Serena
In the short-term, Mexico looks to be on the verge of collapse. I can't even imagine the long-term. The institutional, political, and cultural changes neccesary to fix the many ills which plague Mexico and prevent it from prospering could take generations. To think that sitting around in the square will do anything to advance anyone but themselves is silly.
Oaxaca - Watch Links
Hello Serena and tourpro,
Thanks for your comments. I have been talking about the Mexican case with both Colombian and Mexican friends here in Vancouver, and one pattern is constant in all conversations; everybody tends to agree that Mexico and Colombia are turning into very similar cases where struggles for social equaliy are present. The following is just my personal opinion and I just don't know what the right path might be to guarantee social justice In COL and MEX alike. All I know, from what I can see and read, is that Mexico is turning into something that can be called "the Colombianization of Mexico"... Change needs to come in other ways different than Strikes and localized struggles... If the people of Oaxaca have been struggling for 25 years over the same subject and the government is still corrupt today, then that shows the inneficiency of the strikes, IMHO... They need change at the Federal level, not lociliced rallies in City squares.
Post a Comment